As we head into our seventh year of business at Hatchet & Seed, we’re excited to share our trials, tribulations, successes & challenges with more budding homesteaders, growers and community groups.
To be sure, we still consider ourselves intermediate growers – as it takes decades of growing, harvesting & preserving food to truly become an expert organic grower / homesteader. However, over the years, learning from experts and taking on the design, installation and maintenance of many edible landscapes in multiple locations, we sure feel we’ve learnt a lot.Our edible landscape consultation service is meant to give you the confidence you need to grow more of your favourite produce right outside your door. It is also great for folks who are starting a new landscape project or renovation.
We give them a hearty recommendation. Our edible landscape designed by these folks is flourishing into its fourth spring. – David Grove, Royal Bay Bakery & residential landscape client
Our process involves:
- an online goals assessment survey
- a site visit from either Solara or Tayler for a walkabout with you, the client
- some ‘silent-time’ on the property for us to enter our ‘mind-palace’ and record observations
- a written follow up providing insight into key design factors & their solutions
- follow up phone call or email to discuss in more detail
Key questions that we help our clients with include:
- How can I design my landscape to be edible, functional & beautiful?
- How can I harvest food year round?
- Given my goals and budget, what is the best starter project for me (most gain for the least change)?
- How can I maximize the yield of fruits, veggies & herbs given the space & microclimates I have?
- How can I improve my soil for higher quality produce?
- How can I improve water management on my site?
This service is our introductory service. For many clients, this is all they need to get started and move forward with their projects. Others want to move ahead with detailed edible landscape design work, and installation. We give some recommendations and leave the next steps up to you.
Consultations starting at $300 + GST in Greater Victoria, mileage applies elsewhere.
For winter/spring 2017, we are booking for Mondays, Fridays & Saturdays.
Solara in the garden.
Tayler facilitating a staff permablitz at LUSH Cosmetics in Vancouver.
Some of the valuable flowers and herbs you can grow in your edible landscape.
A garden bed map can make crop planning & rotation a breeze!